Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oh, what a day.

Surgery day is over. I think this has been the longest day of my life. The outcome, so far has been good. Charlotte continues to do well. Right now they are keeping her pretty drugged up with morphine and tylenol, which has been helping keep her comfortable. She has a ton of lines in, I have learned a lot about hearts, lungs, respiration, etc. The nursing staff here has been fantastic, very patient in answering all of our questions and so caring with Charlotte. During the day she had her own nurse, tonight it is a 2:1 ratio.

Missy brought Katherine and Will to the hospital to see us tonight. We sat in the lobby and had dinner with them. They are allowed to come up and visit Charlotte, but we want to wait a few more days until she is more alert and doesn't have as many lines. Katherine had a hard time leaving, but Kate assured me once they were about 5 minutes from the hospital she was doing better. Mike left about nine to go home and get some rest, but will be back early for rounds.

Hopefully, if all goes well I will go home for a few hours tomorrow when Mike is here, take a shower and spend some time with Katherine and Will. Depending on when rounds are, I may even try to pick her up from school. We promised them that we could watch Katherine's new Tinkerbell movie and make popcorn tomorrow afternoon.

Not sure how much sleep I am going to get tonight, I have quite the chatty nurse and she just put in an order for an latte with a triple shot of expresso. Yowza! I may be in trouble.

I am forming a love-hate relationship with my pump. I have so much respect for people that exclusively pump. I feel like I have been hooked up to that dang thing half of today! Hopefully it will just be for a few days, and then she will be able to nurse again.

I can say it enough, but thank you for all the thoughts and prayers today. Your messages/emails got me through one of the hardest days of my life, and I/we are so grateful.

Pictures to come tomorrow, once I find my battery charger, the thing is dead!

5 comments:

  1. How was Chatty Kathy Nurse last night? Did either or you get any sleep? I am so sorry that I have to work today and can't be there. :( Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that Charlotte is doing so well. Hopeing that you and Charlotte were both able to get some rest last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you got a little rest last night. Glad to hear that Charlotte is doing so well. I'll be thinking of you lots today:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear Charlotte is doing so well. Hope you and Mike can get some yourselves.
    How nice that K and W could see their sister.

    Go get that shower, Emily.

    Love,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you got some rest last night. That's rough someone so chatty keeps talking (even though they mean well):) I have a love-hate relationship with my pump too...ugh, I only pump twice a day during work, but I am not a fan. My pumping time at work is rapidly diminishing due to how busy I am...I really hope I can make it to at least 6 months.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!!