Monday, October 7, 2013

School's cool.

Charlotte loves preschool. Her eyes light up at the mention of going to school, and she squeals each morning as we turn into the parking lot. When I return to pick her up at the end of the day, it usually takes my best negotiating skills to get her out to the car, as she often drops to the ground in protest because she doesn't want to leave.

I couldn't be more proud of her. I knew she was going to do well, however, I was still anxious. My anxiety is gone, and she has proven to us that we made the right choice in sending her to a "typical" preschool (as opposed to an Early Childhood program consisting of only children with special needs). Her speech is exploding, and she has grown in so many ways in just one month.

3 weeks after school started, her teachers and therapists talked to us about no longer having an aide for Charlotte. She was showing she really didn't need one. Charlotte was learning the daily routine, following directions, and participating in all the activities of the classroom without extra support. Mike & I both agreed that not having an aide for the time being was in her best interest, as our two biggest goals for her this year are independence and socialization, two things that can be hindered by having a one-on-one aide if it is not needed.

So she is now flying solo, with the exception of her OT and Speech therapist coming in once a week for a half hour each. Her teachers and therapists are phenomenal, and I credit their expectations for Charlotte as the reason why she is doing so well. We really couldn't have asked for a better start to her schooling.

I love picking her up at the end of her morning and watching her line up against the wall of the school with her peers as they come in from recess. I can't help but feel proud as I see her slip between a couple friends and sing a song with her classmates to show they are ready to listen. She's got this. School's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!!