Thursday, September 1, 2011

Letting go.

Today, I officially have a Kindergartener.

Photobucket


I know it is cliche, but I have to say, it is amazing how fast time goes. It seems like just yesterday that Katherine came into this world and made me a mommy. I gotta say, it's the best job I have ever had.

Photobucket

It was hard to watch her walk onto that bus this morning. I hid a few tears behind my sunglasses, waved enthusiastically and told her to have a good day. It helped to know that she is so ready for Kindergarten. She is nearly six years-old, and has been looking forward to this all summer.

Photobucket

Will missed his big sister today. He asked about four times when she was going to get home. He also informed me that he would be my little helper whenever Katherine was at school. We spent the morning running errands, weird to be shopping with just two kiddos.

Photobucket
 (Charlotte thought she was hot stuff riding in the cart...she is usually in my baby carrier, but I decided if I was dealing with sending my eldest off to Kindergarten, why not start the cart transition for the youngest?!)

There was a bit of a snafu when we went to get Katherine from the bus. She got off at the wrong stop; she inadvertently followed two older girls who had gotten on at her stop this morning, but use a different stop in the afternoon. I didn't realize it until a few minutes later when she didn't get off at the right stop. I ran (with an almost 4-year old in flip flops complaining behind me!) to find her. Thankfully she was almost home, but when she saw me, her lower lip started to quiver as she fought back tears. It killed me to see my independent, outgoing little girl coming home from her first day of Kindergarten so upset because she thought I had forgot her. She was terrified. I tried to downplay the issue, and talk about the rest of her day (which was fantastic), but she ran into the house and grabbed her beloved pink monkey--her security, something that will always be there.

These are the moments I dread as a mother. The times when you can't do anything to protect your children from pain and fear. Sometimes I wish I could stick them in a bubble and keep them young and innocent forever. It is hard to let go. I'm workin' on it.

Tomorrow is a new day...though I don't know how successful I will be at getting Katherine on the bus. She repeated time after time today that she did not want to ride the bus tomorrow. Not sure what the "right" parenting move is in this case.  I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

  1. So cute with pigtails!

    yes, my Evan starts K next week and I want to cry just reading this! I know how you feel, like you let her down. It is a learning process for adults too :) Best wishes for another transition for your family.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!!