Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Down syntrick

My conversation with Katherine last night before dinner, went something like this:

Me: If you want me to help you with your homework, you have to do it now because I have to work tonight. Otherwise daddy can help you later.


K: I don't get why you have to go and help big kids with their homework. Can't they read and figure it out themselves?

Me: Well yes, but homework gets harder as you get older and some kids need extra help. 

K: Do they have Down syntrick like Charlotte?

Me: No, they just need extra help understanding their math. 

K: Sounds like Down syntrick to me. 

******

Katherine has a phenomenal memory. She can retell experiences from her toddlerhood with amazing detail.  I have no idea why she can't remember  the word "syndrome." She has always referred to it as "syntrick" even after I have corrected her. I think it truly doesn't matter to her, and to her, Down syndrome is such a non-essential part of her sister that she subconsciously doesn't recall the correct term. To her Charlotte is simply, Charlotte.

In fact, a few weeks ago, my girls were on the floor playing together, Katherine looked up at me and said "Mom, Charlotte is exactly like I hoped she would be."

Yep Katherine, she sure is.

Photobucket

1 comment:

We love comments!!