Thursday, March 21, 2013

World Down Syndrome Day 2013

Today, 3/21, is a day to celebrate and recognize those who have three copies of the 21st chromosome (get it? 3/21?); also known as Down syndrome. It is hard to believe that three years ago I had no idea a day like today existed. My knowledge of Down syndrome was limited, and never in a million years did I think one of my own children would have Down syndrome.

 photo file_zpsc488af3d.jpg

It is amazing where life takes us, paths that we may not ask to be brought down, but yet we begrudgingly go because we have no choice. It is also amazing how sometimes as we make our way down these paths we learn things along the way; hidden traits about ourselves and who we are and what we are capable of, as well as what is really important in life.

 photo file_zpsc27fd736.jpg

And yet, as we travel down these paths, we are at times reminded of those early days when things were oh so very new, and very, very hard. We are also reminded that even though we have accepted this path, it is not always easy.

 photo file_zpsaea64313.jpg

But most of the time, acceptance of this new road is good. We focus on what we have learned, and where we are going.

 photo file_zpsb7d1e8e0.jpg

I am so, so proud to be Charlotte's mom. She has taught me more in the past three years than I have learned in a lifetime. This path isn't so hard anymore, and though in a lot of ways we are just getting started, I no longer fear where we are going.

 photo 02fb3d02.jpg

So today (tonight actually...a little late on this post, sorry!), I celebrate Charlotte for all she is and all she will be, as well as all our friends who also have three copies of that crazy little 21st chromosome. Little math lesson for you, 47 > 46 ;-).

2 comments:

We love comments!!